Here is a
view of the box it comes in and a size comparison with a 1/24th model. One
strange note is the body work comes pre-painted. A nice touch, but could
hold you back in terms of modifying the model.
I have been getting my bench setup to
handle this 1/12th monster. I also ordered several different carbon fiber
decals to help bring in some detail. I started with the engine build up per
the instructions, and I must say it seems there isn't a lot of small details
that you would hope a 1/12th scale kit would have. The fit and finish on the
parts seems ok so far, but they did need a little bit of work.
Ok so I finished up the cockpit and
added carbon fiber and flocking. Then I kept looking at the harness
included with the kit, and it didn't fit the level of detail I was going
for. I searched the world over for a 1/12th scale photo etched F1
harness and hardware ( another reason I won't do another 1/12th scale
car for a long time once this one is finished). Well the long and short
of it is I didn't find one so I went about making my own.
I drew up the CAD plans from looking at the 1:1 race car harness I have
at home. Since I work for an engineering company during the day I had
access to a PCB router. It is basically a CNC machine that has very fine
step sizes for making printed circuit boards. I machined the parts out
from thin sheet metal that is solder coated on the front and back. Once
the parts where machined out I was able to sand them up and clean the
burs off. In general it isn't the best looking harness hardware out
there but it is a MAJOR improvement over that rubber thing included in
For the harness straps themselves I
tried using ribbon from the craft store. The problem I had with them was
I couldn't find exactly the size and texture I wanted. I then happened
across a set of iron on patches at the local drug store. The had 2 red
patches in the set. With the heat activated adhesive on the back it made
it possible to cut them to any shape and they would not fray.
I have added the cockpit to
the chassis as well as completing the steering wheel and dash layout. The
body work is a PAIN to get affixed to the chassis. The fit of the parts is
just not nearly as good as I would have hoped. I had to do a lot of trimming
,sanding and fitting to get it close to right. I am really disappointed in
how the thing fits together, but short of filling ,sanding and repainting
the factory painted bits....I just lived with it. In the end I think it will
still make a nice display.
Well I made some progress and more
is coming. I have the front and rear wings completed as well as the
rear brakes and hubs. I will be adding them to the car tonight and
should have photos of the almost complete chassis very soon.
is the completed Display! I have decided to keep it in a working/pit setup.
I like to be able to see all the workings in and around the car. I made some
workhorses out of styrene and painted them up with metallic grey and placed
the car on them. I think it looks great. Now I am off to my next project!